Thursday, September 06, 2007

Vacation Recap #3

Vacation 2007 Recap cont'd

I promised you some stories from my vacation, and I am going to follow through with those promises. They will come over the next couple of posts...


Is that an echo I hear?

During my 30 yrs I've been through many storms, both because of nature and because of circumstances in my life.

I've been in earthquakes.
I've experienced floods.
I've been frozen by blizzards.
I've weathered a Category 2 hurricane.
I've seen and heard thunderstorms.

But I was not prepared for what I heard on my first night in Santa Margarita.

We've all been there. I storm comes out of nowhere and the lightning and thunder start. The flash of the sky as the electrons break through the atmosphere. The roar of the thunder that rolls right behind it. Sometimes they come at the same time.

That night was unlike any other those times except for one detail: the echo.

Now I'm not positive about this, but apparently, when there are thunderstorms in the mountains of California, there is an echo. The rolling thunder didn't sound the same. It almost seemed empty. Kind of that I'm only going through the motions cause I really don't want to make a sound type of empty.

Don't get me wrong, it was still loud, it had to be to wake me out of my sleep like it did. It just didn't have the same, I'm destroying something feel I get from the storms we have in Virginia.

1 comment:

The Ambiguous Blob said...

I've never been in a thunderstorm anywhere but California. And that thunder generally feels like an earthquake and an explosion coming together.