Wednesday, November 07, 2007

I was reminiscing today.

And I just sat and remembered.

Something today triggered some memories of the past this morning, and I hit that reminiscing mode again. As I get older, it seems easier to look back at my life and think about years past.

Today I was brought back to a very calm and relaxing day in my life. The memory was as vivid as if it happened yesterday. I could almost smell the air and hear the sounds of that day. Every year about this time of year, that day comes back to me. It doesn't haunt me or make me wish I could go back and change things like some memories do. I don't want to re-live that day or go back and be in that place or time again. I have grown and changed since then so it would be fruitless and useless.

So what is so important about that day? It was nothing spectacular. Not even exciting. Nobody I know died or was born on that day. I didn't meet someone knew, or tell someone I loved them. I wasn't someones hero, nor did I need to be rescued. It wasn't even a newsworthy day. But, for some reason that day seemed like a turning point in my life, and I don't know why.


So today I will cherish the memory. Soak up the smell and feeling of it. I will close my eyes and return to the day. Take in the vision of the air, the trees, and the ground around me. I will own this day like no other, and nothing and no one can take it away from me.

I thank God for that day.

----------------
Now playing: Jason Mraz - Absolutely Zero
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love memories and days like that!!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post - hats off to ya.

TC said...

This was a great post, full of feeling, even in its ambiguity.

Beautiful photo: did you take it?